Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Winter is Coming......


This Sunday HBO aired the first episode of “Game of Thrones” based on the Novels of George Martin (yes I refused to use his middle initials). I have never read the books but the idea of a Fantasy series on HBO really stocked the fires of my inner geek so I was looking forward to the series.


Last Month HBO began posting some video’s “Ondemand” explaining some of the houses and the world and such and I found my self looking more and more forward to the series. As a Uber nerd I am accustomed to being disappointed so I made sure that I was well armored against the chance of major Suckage.


As A non-reader of the books I didnt have a predetermined idea of what should or shouldn't be, I was the preverbal clean slate. So Sunday when the kids and wife had gone to bed, I sat and watched episode 1.... Two Times.


The series had me right from the first minutes, as the Knights Watch rode through the Icewall and were attacked by the White walkers ( or is it Wight). I loved the way the scene played out against the snow covered forest backdrop and the creatures even though they were only shown in glimpses were Terrifying.


As the episode progressed it introduced a world of great intrigue, the “Kings Hand” had just died ( I think the queen and her brother were responsible) so the king heads north to ask his friend Lord Stark to be the new Kings hand. As all of this takes place, in another land we learn of the Targaryen’s, who were apparently over thrown or something (they may have killed the kings first love.... cause he sure hinted he liked killing Targaryens) and were plotting their return to power.


One of my Favorite scenes happened late in the episode, when the Queen’s Dwarf Brother, Tyrion and Lord Stark’s bastard son, Jon Snow, have a brief conversation and Tyrion advises him to embrace the fact that he is a bastard and no one can ever use it to harm him. Jon Snow asks “What would a Dwarf know of being a bastard” and Tyrion answers “All dwarves are bastards in the eyes of their fathers”. I just thought that was a great scene showing a shrewd wisdom on Tyrion’s part and Jon Snow is one of my Favorite Charecters so far.


Ok....HE PUSHED THE KID OUT THE FRIGGIN WINDOW!!!???? holy crap!!! In a way you knew it was coming but part of you was still going “neh...he cant do that” and sure enough he does. The he is the Queens brother...and he and the queen were up in a tower “getting to know each other better” when one of the Stark children climbs the tower and discovers them. Well the Queens brother catches the boy and then nonchalantly pushes him out the window while saying “the things I do for love” wow...do I hate this guy.


As I have said, I loved so much about this first episode, I pray it continues to be as solid. I enjoyed it on various geek levels as well, I thought the costuming was fantastic, from the black of the Knight’s watch, to the Gilded armor of the people from King’s Point (Though who the hell was the guy in the black armor with the Grumpy Bear helmet?) I was impressed. I have to say that the fashions of House stark are my Favorite so far.


For those of you who have never read the books, Give it a go, you won’t be disappointed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grumpy Bear helm guy is called the Hound, because he follows the little prince everywhere he goes (he is essentially his bodyguard), and he got a helm made in the shape of a dog to turn the mockery around (like the "embracing bastardhood gimmick, really).

I'm loving it so far, as a reader and re-reader of the books. Glad to hear it's accessible to those who haven't read it.

Christopher said...

I too watched it twice, It seems that the Dwarf is going to be that ever present voice in the background and a key player. I rejoice in his opulent and somewhat vulnerable role.
I don't think I have a clear favorite yet. I am reserving some space someone we have yet to see or encounter. Great start though.

Anonymous said...

I will probably get the book series to read...yeah, the opening 15 minutes with two decapitations pretty much drew me in.