Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Keep (1983)


For some reason I was thinking about the movie “The Keep”. It was a 1983 horror flick with Scott Glenn, Jurgen Prochnow, Ian mckellan and Gabriel Byrne that was directed by Michael Mann. The story is basically, a group of german soldiers gets sent to defend a small pass, there is old keep that seems to be constructed inside out. Well as things go, soldiers start die, a special ( read: ultracruel) SS unit is sent in to straighten things out. Come to find out there is some sort of ancient demon imprisoned in the keep and he is freed by a Jewish Dr. who is tricked by the creature. Enter Scott Glenn, some sort of guardian Angel who apparently crosses the world and a eye for da ladies, to keep the baddy in his place.


I didn't see this in the theaters and I think a friend recommended it to me. I loved the beginning, but thought it lost some steam in the middle. I have watched this movie about a dozen times which is strange because I wouldn't list it as one of my favorites, but it does have some eye catching visuals. I wasn't a fan of the somewhat modern sound track for the movie which I believe may have been composed by Tangerine Dream.


I looked for this film “on demand” and was surprised they didnt have it, I used to watch this on VHS (ask your parents) and I am not sure if it is out on DVD but I would suggest that if you like more “off the wall” stuff, not the norm, you may want to try to find it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never even heard of this, but it seems right up my alley. I'll have to see if I can locate some medium for it.