Monday, December 13, 2010

The Clone Wars.. or ... Clown Wars


I have watched the series “The Clone Wars” on the Cartoon Network, both the classical cartoon one and the CGI one and I have to say that I am still not sure how I feel.


I loved the Cartoon one by Genndy Tartakovsky, for some reason the style appealed to me and the stories weren’t that bad as well. There was one montage of Anakin being promoted to the rank of Jedi that I thought was powerful. I do understand that that form of animation doesn't appeal to everyone, I had liked Tartakovsky’s “Samurai Jack” so I guess I was predisposed to enjoy this one. There is one scene where Obi-Wan is trying to sleep in a trench during a siege, rain keeps dripping on him so matter where he turns or lays... even rendered in Tartakovsky’s unique style I found that believable.


Now the Digital “Star Wars- The Clone Wars” Im not sure I enjoy as much... wait I am sure I don’t. Its not the stories, the ones I have watched have been fairly well written, in fact I venture to say if the writing had been as good on the prequels I would have been a fair bit happier. Its the style I don’t like, the characters don’t move in a real fashion ( at least to me) they seem like Im watching Gerry Anderson’s Version of Star Wars (no offense to Mr. Anderson, I love me some Captain Scarlet). Nothing seems real about it, its hard for me to put my finger on it but there always appears to be something missing, dirt or Atmosphere or something. A example would be the Cockpit of Anakin’s Freighter... there is some seats, with some controls and a bunch of gray walls... just so Sanitary.


When all is said and done, I do end up watching it when I can, but for the most part its the stories I am enjoying and not the visuals... with everything that has been done in animation I would have expected more from the Lucas animation people.

No comments: